Monday, May 09, 2005

The Talented Mr Tintin

Hmmm, talent and Mr Tintin. Not the pair of words you would usually use in the same sentence. I have often wondered what talent I have. Actually, make that, I have often wondered if I have a talent. Everbody is good at something or the other. Something that they make as a hobby or just like to brag about. Some can tell the model of the airplane by just looking at it from the ground (not that I will know if they are right or not). Some can do the same to birds or trees (tell the species that is). What is my talent? Reading books and then forgetting what it was about? Knowing the layout of most of the airport terminals of the world? A sneeze that makes people jump out of their skin?

Reminds me of a friend of mine who used to say: "It amazes me that everybody around me is good at something. Some are good in sports, some of them can play an instrument, some can sing, dance, talk, walk or do a hundred different things. Me, I am average at most of the things and good at nothing. I can't sing, I can't play an instrument, I can't dance, I can't climb rocks, I am not a geek. Hell, I can't even juggle two oranges properly!!"

When I heard this, it struck a chord. Or atleast I think it was a chord. I wouldn't know a difference between a chord and a clothes-line anyway. I realized that so much of this lack-of-talent thing is true for me too (Except for the two oranges part. I can probably juggle two, but three is pushing it. And I will never try it with eggs). I like to console myself with the thought that I do have a talent, I just haven't found it yet.

No comments: