Thursday, May 12, 2005

Et Tu

I am sure there are a lot of crazy U2 fans out there but after what I did or their last concert, I surely must deserve an honourable mention if not a gold plated place in the rock-fans hall-of-fame.
The saga beagn about 3 months ago when I heard U2 will be performing in town as part of their Vertigo tour, I had that strange giddy feeling....vertigo i think it is called :-)

So I was on the net as soon as the tickets went on sale. After 20 unsuccessful minutes, I managed to get the prized seat in the third show. All three shows were sold out in less than 30 minutes!!

The D-Day
Just so happened that the day of the concert, I managed to be stuck in a town 300 miles away from concert. I made a decision to take half a day off, cover the distance in car, attend the concert and be back in the office for next day's work. The stupidity of the idea was written all over it but then people have done crazier things for a concert(or so I told myself).

So I started from Detroit (!) around 1pm and drove all the way to Chicago. Reached there around 6pm. Quickly changed into something non-office and then headed to the venue. The opening act was King of Leons. By the way they were singing, the days of their kingdom are numbered.

Then......(drumroll here)...Bono came on stage. Man, is he a showman. Every bit of it. He oozes cool. He reeks of attitude but damn he is good. and May 10 happens to be his birthday!!! Tha was the icing on the cake. He kept the house on their toes for a little over two hours.

As soon as we finished. I ran home. Switched into office clothes and started driving back. Reached Detroit at 6am, took a quick shower and was back in the office. Worked all day like a zombie and when i finally managed to retire, I had been up for 42 hours and had driven over 600 miles AND had worked almost two full days in office.

But I guess, in the end, the concert totally made it worth it...


No comments: