Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Say What!

Sometimes, it amazes me to think how some smudges of ink on a piece of paper can convey the myriad feelings. How is it that the smudges take the form of characters, characters form words, words form sentences and sentences give meaning to a thought. How is it that the shapeless, formless thought that is floating around in your mind suddenly seems so meaningful, so alive to those who can decipher those smudges.

But the words don't always need the crutches of a language. How else will you explain the communication between people and their pets. Communication that is totally lacking a common language but not really missing it. Why is it then that when two people want to coommunicate, they need a common language. Or sometimes, even when they have a common language, they fail to communicate with each other.

I have always maintained that words are not my friends. But the fact is that words are my beloved friend and my dreaded foe. Words have got me into some tough spots and got me out of lots of others. Words have betrayed me at the worst possible moment and words have been my lifeline. Words have been my confidante and my Brutus. Somehow, I am always wary of trusting the words that roll off my tongue or the ones that emrge out of my pen.

No comments: