Thursday, June 09, 2005

Run Tintin Run

That's what life has become lately. An endless marathon. A race where there are no people midway to hand you a glass of water. I have been running so hard and so long and the checkered flag is nowhere in sight.

I have often wondered...can I slow down. Invariably, the answer is - do I want to? I have been in this mode for so long that I don't know otherwise. Life is a mad rush and I damn well like it that way.

I have always been a light sleeper. Think it is a waste of time to sleep too much when I can be doing so much more. I once calculated...if a person sleeps for 6 hrs a day all his life and gets to live to a hundred, he has spent about 25 yrs of his life just sleeping( a quarter of 100...get it?). On the other hand if a person sleeps for 8 hrs a day, that is about 33 1/3 yrs in bed!!! So if you shave off just two hours from your sleep everyday, you get over 8 yrs to do so much stuff. I know this is silly maths but somewhere somehow it struck a chord.

I know all the proponents to sleep will be sharpening their knives but hey, I am giving you just numbers...refute it if you can. And no, I am not planning to sleep only 4 hrs and save aother 8 yrs. I am human after all. Plus I love my bed too much to ignore it like that :-)

Maybe, one of these days, I will slow down to stuff a fistful of sky in this cluttered life. I will slow down to wish some secret wishes on the eyelashes that fall off to rest on the surprised cheeks. I will slow down and gaze through all this ozone layer to find my shooting star. I will slow down to play in the wet puddles and pile some wet sand on the beaches to pass them off as castles. I will slow down and follow the path of the fallen leaf as it floats away on water. Maybe, just maybe...

2 comments:

moonlit rainbows said...

Hi! This particular post of yours struck an instant chord in me... Nice writing :).

This is just a random question - I have a feeling that you might be able to relate to it. What is the idea behind running behing careers/ any kind of goal for that matter?! What happens when we reach that goal? Is life all the happier for not attaining the goals, but chasing them? If so - what is the point in having them?!! rather loaded questions!

Anyways - good nite - catch a good 8 hours of sleep ;)

tintin said...

Ah the classic question. The heretic in me believes it is all a mirage. The practicality is so different though.

Here is my take on running after goals. I know lots of people who are satisfied with what they are and where they are. Not me though. I believe that the moment you don't set goals or strive for them, you refuse to grow. You are heading towards a cul-de-sac.

If you don't have a purpose when you get up every morning, what is the point.

I can speak for myself, but when I achieve the goals I set for myself, I aim higher. It is not the destination, it is the journey that makes it worth it.

The point is not necessarily to have a happy life, the point is to feed the wood of actions to the fire of desire. Always stay hungry...