Saturday, April 13, 2024

A milestone... may be

 Forgot to say or mark it somehow but March 25th marked 25years in my adopted country. That's more than half my life now. Well, when I came here, I was only assured of about 3 odd months and was half prepared to go back after that if things didn't pan out financially. 

And to think that the final decision took me no time at all. Even though I had been trying to come here for a few months, it didn't pan out for one reason or another and I had given up all hopes.

Then, one day, someone calls home on the day I happen to be there (I was living in a different city at that time... and there were no cellphones). They ask if I am interested and I say yes. I didn't even ask anyone about the impact it will have on their lives. About 3 weeks later, I land in the country that will become my home and a country I don't foresee leaving.

In a blink of an eye, my life took an entirely different turn. I always hear about how people plan their lives for months and years and wonder how I used to be able to take life altering decisions with nary a thought about a long term plan. Some call it foolishness, I call it the only way I knew how to live. 

Can't do that anymore though. The split-second decision was easy when I was the dependent rather than now when some others may depend on me.

Oh well! Not like I will have another 25years here... or anywhere

No comments: